Image source: http://occupytheory.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/advantages-and-disadvantages-of-electronic-health-records.jpg
Electronic Medical Records – The Pros and Cons
In this virtual age, increasingly bulks of recommendation which used to be paper-chic largely, from library catalogues to telephone books, are digitized and stored in a central arena for convenient entry. The concept of EMRs all started approximately forty years ago.
The main proponents of EMRs cite the subsequent benefits:
(1) The use of EHRs supposedly reduces blunders in medical files. There is no longer really very any doubt that handwritten files are discipline to a choice of human blunders thank you to misspelling, illegibility, and differing terminologies. With the use of EMRs standardization of patient health files might also at final emerge as acheivable.
(2) Paper files might also additionally be effortlessly out of place. We have heard how fires, floods and other herbal catastrophes damage physical files of many years, statistics which are out of place consistently. Digital files might also additionally be stored practically consistently and might also additionally be saved long after the physical files are gone. EMRs also assistance keep files of health advice that patients tend to forget with time, i.e. inoculations, past ailments and medications.
(three) EMRs make health care cost-helpful by consolidating all statistics in a single place. Previously, paper-chic largely files are positioned in option places and getting entry to all of them takes assorted time and money. In a systematic evaluation, Kripalani et al. evaluated the communication transfer among effortless care physicians and health center-chic largely physicians and stumbled on significant deficits in medical advice substitute. The evaluation suggested the use of EMRs to unravel these themes and facilitate the continuity of care before, all the means through and after hospitalization. EMRs translates into enhanced treatment for patients. Take the instance of one bronchial asthma middle's knowledge with EMR: "A major receive advantages related with EMR implementation was the augment within the verdict of teenagers who had been hospitalized with an bronchial asthma exacerbation and obtained an bronchial asthma motion plan upon discharge. Prior to the EMR system, [only] 4% obtained an bronchial asthma motion plan upon discharge. After implementation of the EMR system, fifty eight% obtained an bronchial asthma motion plan upon discharge."
(4) EMRs can save lives. VeriChip, developed by VeriChip Corporation is the first one of its kind ever licensed by the US FDA. It facilitates fast identification of at-risk patients and entry to their medical background, thereby permitting fast diagnosis and treatment specifically in emergency cases. Classic examples are folks with diabetes and/or heart themes who have high risk of collapsing and having attacks. VeriChip might also be positive in vehicular accidents and other trauma incidents wherein the victims don't seem so one can answering questions. In circumstances of bigger-scale catastrophes, VeriChip facilitates tracking and identification of victims. According to a coroner in Mississippi, VeriChip helped determine victims all the means through the Hurricane Katrina incident.
Earlier this year, Google Health was launched, an remedy superhighway custom designed health files dealer. Google Health is chic totally on the principle that since or no longer it is the patient's medical record, the patient ought to keep watch over it, resolve what have to be in it, and who gets entry to it. One of the constituents of the dealer consists of files from hospitals and pharmacies that are Google Health-enabled or are registered Google Health partners.
The HealthVault is an alternate online health advice storage dealer offered by Microsoft with constituents just like Google Health. Keith Toussaint, senior program manager with Microsoft HealthVault recently mentioned " leading hospitals like Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center are definitely integrating their systems with the 2 us and Google — thank you to the truth some folks like one or the alternative. It's a Coke or Pepsi aspect."
What are the hazards of EMRs? Not surprisingly, privacy rights advocacy enterprises are the foremost opponent of EMRs. Here is what they ought to say:
(1) EMRs threaten our privacy. In this day and age whilst folks's mantra is "I need my privacy", no longer many folks are at ease approximately having their played medical background recorded and digitized for nearly just all of us to see – in other words, incursion into folks's privacy. The confidentiality of medical professional – patient relationship maintains to be sacrosanct. Besides, medical statistics might also additionally be used in competitors to someone in some circumstances – be it for a job application, insurance coverage or a school scholarship. Although it is in competitors to the law to discriminate in competitors to folks with ailments and disabilities, it is a truth of life that the more fit you are, the additional competitive you are within the job market. The planned incorporation of genetic statistics in EMRs further adds to folks's fear of incursion into their deepest sphere.
(2) EMRs might also have an consequence on in loss of the human touch in health care. In the process of digitalization, the interpersonal point in health care might also be out of place. In handwritten health center charts, docs and other health care practitioners might also write what they sense and in order that they sense chic totally on their individual observations in their very own words. EMR is just approximately ticking off boxes and crossing out things in electronic forms. The docs are forced to sense in publications and can seldom express a non-public opinion on a individual case. Because of the lack of flexibility of many electronic reporting systems, circumstances of misclassification of patients and their conditions have been reported.
(three) EMRs don't seem to be that helpful. Despite efforts in digitalization and standardization, EMRs are definitely far from being standardized and never as helpful as it is purported to be. It on the complete happens that one health facility's EMR system ought to not ever be tremendous with that of a general practitioner or an alternate health facility's system, thus belying the declare of introduced efficiency. In addition, no longer all users of EMRs are chuffed with the newest state of the art. Although the objective is principally efficiency and healthcare ultimate quality, one experiment showed that nurses within the Netherlands don't seem to be wholly chuffed with their EMR implemented in 2006-2007.
(4) EMRs don't seem to be stable and comfy. Google Health and HealthVault are quick in assuring patients of the safety of their online health money owed. Access to the patient's account is only possible riding log ins and password. In addition, HealthVault assures that "all health advice transmitted among HealthVault servers and program providers' systems is encrypted" and that Microsoft does it superior to use the "best criteria of security to safeguard jstomer health advice from theft, loss, or harm."
However, there are circumstances during which passwords and encryptions do no longer seem to be enough as statistics upkeep gear. Stories of statistics hacking, stolen identities and blackmail abound. Even high security databases which includes those run by banks and credit institutions are occasionally compromised. This impression was annoyed by the many neatly-publicized incidences of statistics loss or breach. A few examples are indexed underneath:
November 26, 2007, Canada. Hackers accessed medical advice on HIV and hepatitis from a Canadian health agency personal computer. – September 22, 2008, UK. The National Health Service (NHS) reported the loss of four CDs within the mail containing advice on 17,990 personnel. – September 30, 2008, US. The business Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Louisiana confirmed breach of individual statistics, adding Social Security numbers, phone numbers and addresses of approximately 1,700 brokers. The statistics was unintentionally connected to a general e mail.
In addition, there is grievance over Google Health no longer being a "lined entity under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 and the regulations promulgated thereunder (HIPAA)" under its terms and prerequisites and is therefore no longer discipline to HIPAA privacy of for my half identifiable health advice. The HealthVault terms and prerequisites do no longer mention HIPAA privacy laws so it ought to not ever be sparkling what its status is regarding this challenge.
(5) VeriChip ought to not ever be for humans. It is to be expected that regardless of the indisputable truth that lots of folks are amenable to the use of RFID chips in pets, the concept of implanting similar chips in human beings is bound to elevate hackles in humans, it doesn't matter what the US FDA says. A large opponent of the VeriChip and similar chips of its kind is the jstomer advocacy nearby Spychip.com. In a position paper, Spychip and lots of advocacy and jstomer awareness enterprises see RFID tagging (be it on your human being or on the items you buy) as a severe threat to privacy and civil liberties. They see the tagging as some fashion of "Big Brother" operation. Another nearby, the No VeriChip Inside Movement, likens VeriChip as "cataloguing" humans just like the means the Nazis have tattooed numbers on the pores and skin of concentration camp detainees. Popular Hollywood films on privacy incursions (e.g. The Net, Public Enemy No. 1) greater further folks's paranoia approximately individual statistics.
Where do we go from the subsequent? Without doubt, we've got the technology to make EMRs standardized and helpful. Google Health, Microsoft HealthVault and similar online custom designed health advice money owed are permitting patients to take keep watch over of their medical files. The main themes that prefer to be overcome are statistics security, upkeep of privacy and gaining the confidence of the patients. It would no longer seem glaring that the use of RFID and similar tagging chips turns into tremendous or traditional anytime quickly. However, we reside in a virtual global and we can't hold again growth indefinitely. With improved technology and statistics upkeep gear, let us want the EMR challenge will be resolved quickly.